Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The National Civil Rights Museum, Memphis, TN

On April 25th, 2012, I had the distinct pleasure of accompanying my English 2650 (African American Literature) class from Southwest Tennessee Community College, on a field trip to the National Civil Rights Museum located at the historic Lorraine Motel. We were able to tour the museum, which included the hotel room shared by Dr. Martin Luther King and Ralph Abernathy shortly before King's assassination on April 4, 1968.

Below are a few photographs I took of the event.

 One of the most iconic signs of African American--and American History.



My students, Yram Sikes and Holly Melcalf.
Lauren and Holly meeting me at the Museum.





Stacy Scott, Terrika Finnie, Holly Metcalf, Tamarly Eatmon, Patricia Tia, Van Taylor, Lauren Rose, Nakisha Vaxter, Yram Sikes, Whitney Phipps, and Marvin Mcneal. 



Lauren Rose. A perfect, candid moment.


Wreath that marks the site where Dr. King was murdered.

Jaqueline Smith continues her protest against the building of the Museum.
Thanks to each and everyone of my students for making this day so memorable and lovely. I will remember this day, and you all, always. ~Dr. Lester

No comments:

Post a Comment